Sunday, November 27, 2011

Scenes from Central Market's Produce Dept

My job isn't so bad. I try foods from all over the world, talk to people all day and share my passion for food. So I can't complain tooo much. Everyday when I get to work the first thing I do is take a lap around produce to see whats new, taste a few things and get inspiration for my next meal




Calabaza and Chayote Squash are popular in Mexican cuisine. The Chayote stays pretty firm when cooked, I like to add it to chili. It has a large edible seed in the middle that is nutty and delicious and looks like a big ole pumpkin seed!
In the fall we have up to 7 or 8 varieties of eggplants! Just look at these beauties! Gorgeous
And in true TexMex style we have at least 30 varieties of fresh/dry peppers in produce.
A great view of the peppers
Some funny looking Trumpet mushrooms and colorful yellow chantrelles that we always have on hand.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog - keep it up! I want to read more. :)

    Sounds like you have a great job at CM...

    I'm also going to the Natural Epicurean, starting in February. Did you enjoy it?

    http://dietiscorrect.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete