Thursday, September 9, 2010

Egg in the Grass


So good, so healthy, I'm going to make this dish again and again.

I actually made twice this much.. and ate all of it.

1/4c brown rice
1/2c water
-bring to boil, then lower to simmer until the rice is fluffy and the water is all soaked in. Keep a tight fitting lid on your pot the whole time.

Now for the fun part
1/2 small yellow onion
1 very small yellow bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
4 sun dried tomatoes
1/2 bunch of spinach (use a lot, because it will cook down)
4 crimini mushrooms
2 eggs

The sun dried tomatoes I used were heavily salted, so I didn't have to add any salt to this recipe. Actually.. I am really excited about these sun dried toms! Central Market, the amazing store that Anna and I work/shop at has them in bulk! A jar of them usually costs at least 7$! I paid 38cents for 4 of them. YES!

Start with a little oil in your pan, and saute the onion and yellow bell until soft. Turn down the heat and add the garlic, so it doesnt burn. After about a minute, add the sun dried toms (dice em up) and 1/2 c water to hydrate them. Once the water heats up, toss in all your spinach, and cover the pan. After a minute, stir as needed until all the spinach wilts. Add your chopped mushrooms (they'll cook quickly) and use a spoon to make 2 "wells" into the greens. This is where you'll drop the eggs. Make sure the walls around your "well" are high enough so that the egg doesnt spill over. Re-cover the pan. This should baste your egg. If it isnt cooking in a few minutes, start basting the egg with the hot liquid in the pan. This should speed up the process.

That's it!! I loooveed it mmmm!! Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...I think I'll pass on this recipe. Looks like too many ingredients for breakfast.

    Hey go out to the Pfaltzgraff site and see if you like any of the dinnerware sets, especially look at Sedona, Patio Garden and Parisian Fruit.

    ReplyDelete