Monday, April 11, 2011

Tempeh Reuben

If you live in Columbia, MO and are reading this post, there is a good chance that this sandwich sounds familiar. This is a slightly different version of an item on Main Squeeze's menu on 9th st.
If you are in town, GO GET THIS SANDWICH. I worked there for one year, but ate there for many, and this was my favorite menu item. Honestly, mine wasn't as good as theirs.

RECIPE COMING SOON

Sandwich Sauce
Ketchup
Mayonaise
Pickles

Sandwich layers
Sauce
Tempeh
Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
Sweet Onion
Sprouts
Sauerkraut

I bought the sauerkraut and the sprouts at the Austin Farmers Market.
If you have never had Tempeh before, do not be afraid. I am serious. It sounds scary.. depending who you are.. it is fermented soy beans, which forms into a thick cake.. so it kind of looks like a whole bean cake.
You eat lots of fermented foods. Fermented foods contain a living bacteria (culture.) Cheese, yogurt, sauerkraut, meade, European style butter, and sourdough bread are some examples.
I did a demonstration of using tempeh on a sandwich at Central Market. Many many "normal" people, Texans infact, enjoyed it very much. In fact, at least 100 people tried it, and I got no complaints! So do not be afraid, I bet you'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment