Tuesday, April 26, 2011

RAW "pasta alfredo"

This recipe is dairy-free, un-cooked, nutrient packed, and friggin delicious. I ain't kiddin. I understand the skepticism, but by now you should all trust my tastebuds!!

So there is a Raw revolution happening in this country. Many people have no idea what this means, and many more are very skeptical. I am not endorsing an all-raw all-year lifestyle, but I firmly believe that having at least a 50% raw diet will help you feel and look much much better.
When you cook food the minerals stay, but many of the vitamins leave... food for thought.

Raw "alfredo sauce"
1 c cashews
1/2 c pinenuts
1 1/2 c water
garlic
thyme (or oregano, parsley, basil)
red pepper flakes
sun dried tomatoes
salt
1-2 T lemon juice

Place all ingredients in blender or food processor.

This is a pretty standard recipe among raw foodists. Buy the nuts from your grocer's bulk section to save money. Dont buy them toasted or salted.

The noodles are made from zucchini. If you dont have a fancy spiral slicer like me, you can just slice thin strips off your squash with a peeler.

You could also top this with marinated mushrooms, steamed broccoli, bell peppers, tomatoes, etc.

3 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! That looks amazing...gluten free and vegan too I see...looks like we'll have to make it!
    Also, Peanut my little nickname for Zora (super cheesy)
    We love you too! and thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oi, Shelly, it's Zack -- glad to have stumbled upon your blog from the others'. Back in Fort Worth, only three hours north of you, and will likely make it down to Austin soon to visit friends. Would love to see you if you have the time, hear what you're up to an how you're liking it down there, and possibly even deposit a ton of bottle caps (!) with you, haha. Cheers, mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zack, DEFINITELY! My number is 314 313 8810 and my email is shellylafata@yahoo.com Please let me know when you'll be in town!

    ReplyDelete