Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lemon Pesto Risotto








Have you made risotto before? Its easy! It does take some technique, but depending where you are in the world will determine which technique you learn.
When I took the risotto class at school I learned a completely different process from any I had heard of before. I'll tell you how I prefer to make it.

For the risotto:
3 c hot broth simmering in a pot (you may not need all of this)
1 c arborio or carnaroli rice
1/3 c dry white wine
pesto to taste, about 4 T
1/2 lemon
onion &garlic
olive oil
spicy olive salad for garnish

For the shrimp:
1/2 c almond meal
1/2 c hazelnut meal
1 egg


Start by heating the olive oil, and add the onions. Cook for a few minutes until soft, then add the garlic & rice. Stir for a couple minutes until the rice gets lightly toasted. This is a good time to add the wine. Let it simmer down, then begin to add your hot broth, one ladle (about 1/4 c) at a time.
Stir stir stir, always stir your risotto. A wooden spoon is considered best. Once the liquid cooks into the rice, add more. Continue doing this until you have the creamy risotto texture that you want. The ideal texture is al dente.
Towards the end of the cooking process, add your pesto to taste. The amount that you use will depend on the salt content of your pesto. They can be pretty salty, which is why this recipe doesnt call for any. I keep pesto frozen in ice cube trays, I used 3 ice cubes here. To finish the dish, squeeze on some lemon juice & top with the olive salad.

Lucky me, at Central Market we have a variety of nut meals, and arborio rice in the bulk department!
The shrimp come together pretty quickly. I just tossed together the nut meal, dipped a shrimp into the meal, then into egg, then back into the meal. Then it goes directly into hot oil until it is cooked through & both sides are golden & crispy.

I think I'm going to be making risotto more often, it was soooo good!!!



1 comment:

  1. The next time you come you HAVE to make this for me! Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete