Monday, February 7, 2011

Tumeric Coleslaw







I am quite determined to use every last bit of produce in our fridge. That’s how this coleslaw came about. The first 4 ingredients were in the “crisper” drawer and drawing close to the end of their days. Not if I can help it.
The sprouts were sprouted on my counter top.. it takes about 2 ½ days to turn seeds into edible sprouts, and they are one of the healthiest things you can eat. The mix I am using now is a blend of lentils, alfalfa and mung beans. They are really crisp with a nutty flavor, that the store bought sprouts don’t have.
Making a dressing like this from scratch is something you get better at over time. I never measure anything, but I just keep tasting and adding until it is right. My advice is to start out with less mayonnaise than you would thing you’d need, because you can always add more later… and too much mayonnaise would be gross.
quarter head cabbage
1 carrot shredded
1 quarter cucumber chopped
½ avocado
fresh sprouts
mayo
lemon juice
dash vinegar
turmeric
siracha (chile sauce)
honey
mustard powder
salt & pepper
It is best to make the dressing on the side, then toss it in the ingredients. If the flavor isnt well balanced, then add additional seasonings to the slaw "to taste"

1 comment:

  1. Scrolling through your page makes me really hungry and inspired. I think that's what you're going for? Haha. Awesome, Shelly! The coleslaw looks like a great break from the standard.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete