Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Rosemary “brown butter” Applesauce




This actually isnt the final photo, it will cook down even more than this and be more applesaucey in appearance.


MMMmmm. A classmate of mine brought in a huge bag of rosemary and gave it out to all of us. I sat in lecture the rest of night wondering what I should do with all this rosemary… On my way home from school I bought 5 apples and made this sauce! Thanks Jeanine!
1 bunch rosemary
+dry rosemary to taste
5 apple
¼ earth balance
3 T brown sugar

In a pan heat the earth balance and add the brown sugar and diced fresh rosemary. Bring to a simmer and keep on low until the sugar is dissolved. Strain out the rosemary.
Meanwhile, dice the apples and place in a food processor. I used my blender, but chances are, unless you have a Vitamix, your blender isn’t powerful enough for apples! Blend them in batches, until they are still kind of chunky, and toss them into a wide pot. You may want to add some apple juice. I didn’t have to… but that’s because I have a Vitamix and it juiced some of the apples! Cook the applesauce for an hour on low. As soon as your butter/rosemary mixture is strained, add butter to apples and continue to cook on low. Taste it. I didn’t think the rosemary was coming through strong enough, so I ended up grabbing some dry rosemary from the cupboard, grinding it, and adding it directly into the applesauce until I was happy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to do this then add it to the squash we got and make some pasties - kristy

    ReplyDelete