Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Turnip Soup Puree





If you like turnips, don’t eat enough of them, or just want to try them out, try this recipe!! I swear it’s a winner. I would totally serve it in a restaurant. In fact, I was inspired to make this soup by something I tasted at Broadway Brewery once. It’s so quick and easy.
When buying turnips the larger ones are usually a bit more bitter, so if you have the option, choose smaller ones. But no worries, roasting them will sweeten ‘em up.

2.5 – 3 lbs turnips
2 red potatoes (not the tiny ones)
1 small white onion
2-3 cloves garlic
½ t dry rosemary
½ t dry thyme
1 bay leaf
1/3 c dry white wine
milk (I used rice & almond)
2 T olive oil
¼ c Earth Balance (healthy butter alternative)
½ t vegetarian “not chicken” broth
The vegetarian “not chicken” broth I use, may sound strange to some of you, but it is great for veg recipes. Better Than Boullion is a brand of pastes that you add to water to create broths. You can see a picture of the container above, in the post for butternut squash soup. I have the mushroom, no-chicken, and vegetable on hand, but the company makes dozens of different kinds. I keep them in my fridge and I think it is a good investment for anyone interested in making more soups and sauces.
You may notice that I used 2 different vegan milks and oils. I am not doing this to make my recipes seem complicated, but to add more creaminess to the soup. Since I am not adding cream or butter, the blends I am adding will add more depth and richness to the soup.
(the plastic tupperware container in the middle is filled with frozen wine. It actually doesnt freeze all the way, but is like a slushy.. it is the perfect way for me to keep white wine, because I don't drink it!)

Peel turnips and potatoes, and chop into uniform pieces. Toss heavily in Earth Balance and Olive oil, salt & pepper. Cover and roast in a 400 degree oven until very soft. You should be able to easily pierce it with a utensil.
Meanwhile, dice the onion and sauté with the bay leaf, thyme and rosemary. When soft, add the minced garlic and cook an additional minutes. Then turn off heat and immediately pour the white wine in the pan.
In a blender or food processor add the turnips, potatoes and onion mixture and puree. While pureeing add the milk(s) and boullion until it reaches your desired consistency.

1 comment:

  1. Love the last shot. Very creative...and such a clean kitchen!
    I am continually impressed by the depth of your recipes and of the passion in your descriptions. You go girl!

    Love you bunches

    ReplyDelete