Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Vegetarian Muffuletta

i


Vegetarian Muffuletta
After I made/ate this sandwich I sent Anna the following text message: “I just made/ate a sandwich that will change my life forever. It is definitely going on the menu. In fact, I might just open up a trailer and JUST sell these sandwiches. I’ll never be the same.” She didn’t respond. She thinks I’m dramatic.
Every once in a while, I will make something really really crazy good and we’ll say “this needs to go on the menu” (of the future restaurant I do not yet own.) I will put this recipe, or a slight variation, ON the menu.
This was also an exciting day because it was the first time I used my World Cuisine Tri-blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer and it made perfect curly potato fries, some of which were a few feet long. jealous? I thought so. More spiral sliced veggies to come!

mmmMuffaletta
Big Soft Bun, preferably Italian Style (topped with sesame seeds)
Sliced (wide)Grilled Eggplant
Sliced (long) Grilled Zucchini
Seitan (thin sliced)
Italian Olive Salad (I use Boscoli, its awwwesome!)
Red Pepper Pesto
Shredded Asiago & Provolone cheeses
If you don’t have/want the Seitan, then just leave it off the sandwich. It’ll still be awwwesome.

So, the zucchini and eggplant don’t necessarily have to be grilled. You can broil ‘em or cook ‘em in a pan. Whatever you do, slice ‘em thick (like ¼ inch), because they are going to give the sandwich substance. Of course, before you cook the eggplant, slice it, salt it & let it sit for 30 minutes. Rinse the eggplant off, then pat it dry. Brush it with oil, then cook it.

Red Pepper Pesto
Pulse the following ingredients together in a food processor until creamy:
1 roasted red bell pepper
1/3 c kalamata olives
3T prepared basil pesto
2T olive oil
1/3 c breadcrumbs (preferably Italian style)

To build the sandwich:
Spread Pesto on Bottom bun
then stack seitan, eggplant & zucchini
Top with olives
Melt the cheeses on the top bun

2 comments:

  1. Very impressive. I can't wait for this restaurant to open! Does it have a name yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No name yet. I am stumped. I've had several ideas..
    Of course, there will eventually be several establishments.. and I figure I'll name one "Bev & Mike's" after my most generous investors.

    ReplyDelete