Sunday, March 18, 2012

raw Buffalo Lentil Tenders w Cashew Cheez


I'm on a raw kick. Ever since I ended my fast I've been indulging 
and experimenting with raw cuisine and i'm prettttyyyy excited about it.


These tenders crack me up. Their bright orange color and flaky texture actually looks like a chicken tender. Weird. This recipe isnt mine. I'm going to be following raw recipes for a while, then making a few of my own additions, and eventually figuring it out on my own.
Ive been studying raw "un-cook" books for a few years now, I have some practice from school and home, but it takes a lot of planning and dedication to follow a strict raw diet.
On top of all that, you need kitchen appliances like a Vita-mix blender, food processor, spiralizer, dehydrator, and a fully stocked fridge & pantry. I've acquired all of the tools and ingredients and I'm finally ready to dive in. Let's go!

From Alissa Cohen's Raw Food For Everyone
makes about 12 tenders

2c coarsely chopped carrots
1 small shallot
2c sprouted red lentils
2t cayenne pepper
1 t salt
1/4c apple cider vinegar
2T extra virgin olive oil

Put the carrots and shallot in a food processor. Process until finely ground. Add the lentils, cayenne, salt, vinegar, and olive oil and process until a batter forms. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides as necessary.
Divide and shape the mixture into "tenders" approximately 1/2 in thick by 3 in long and 1 1/2 in wide. Place the tenders on a teflex-lined (or wax paper) dehydrator racks and dehydrate for 4 hours. Carefully flip the tenders over so the other side has an opportunity to dehydrate. Return the racks to the dehydrator and dehydrate for another 2 hours. The tenders sould be firm and moist, not dried out. Enjoy immediately or cover and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.

I think the 2t cayenne is a little much for some people, so you may want to cut back a little. I dehydrated these for almost 24hours. I own the l'equip dehydrator and it isnt as powerful as Excaliber, so it usually takes a little longer. Plus, I wanted them to get extra crispy on the outside.

Cashew Cheez
3/4 c almond pulp (leftovers from milk-making)
1/3 c soaked cashews
2 T pinenuts
water to cover
tamari
garlic
dry herbs
lemon
salt

Process until smooth in blender, season to taste.

This is a photo of the raw batter, before dehydration.


No comments:

Post a Comment