Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Drying Ginger & Tumeric for Tea


By request of my very dear friend Robert Jenkins, Ill be preparing a lovely tea, of which, the main ingredients are tumeric and ginger. These are nutritional POWERHOUSES, people. Get some. Tumeric is the healthiest spice in the world. (I see the grammatical error there, but just go with it.)Renowned for its anti inflammatory properties, tumeric has been used for over 4000 years to treat a variety of conditions. Its a staple in Indian cusine... and in my home. YES! Ginger, I buy like twice a week. I put it in all my juices, many of my teas, sauces, dressings, soups.. Its great for nausea or an upset stomach, its a very warm spice, so you can add it to tea on a cold day or to a bath if you have a cold! YES!

Tumeric & Ginger
 Many chefs find the best way to peel these roots is with the back of a spoon. Its not quick, its not perfect, but it gets the job done. Use a knife, and chances are you'll lose lots of the goodness. I saved all the skins and added them to my fresh morning juice. Intense!
 Peeled tumeric & ginger roots
Once you've minced them up good, spread them out on dehydrator racks.
 Alternatively, you can dry them at the lowest setting in your oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment